Thursday, November 11, 2010

3rd Entry for Oct 19, 2010




The two upper images are done with HB Conte crayon on 22 x 30" sheets of Maidstone paper. Each was 20 minutes. The head study was first - I wasn't happy with the relative coarseness of the Conte's grain pattern on the more rigid paper - too much white in between the black dots, compared to working on newsprint. I didn't have any more `dusty' chalks that I could work into the surface to cut down the whiteness, so I did what I could with trying to build up a base layer of Conte, upon which I did the reclining pose. I was a little happier with that, but the shift to the slightly smaller paper felt constraining with the Conte in hand.
The night ended with a ten-minute pose, and on that I shifted back to 24 x 36" newsprint. The drawing almost always goes slower on new paper, so the 10-minute poses was too short to try much of anything new.

No comments: