Sunday, July 15, 2012

2nd entry for June 24. 2012







When I try out materials, I often have a `Goldilocks syndrome' response: this one's too soft, that one's too hard; this one's too dusty' that one's too clumpy, etc.   There was a particular woodless-pencil style  charcoal, under the Nobel label (Deserres sells it,) that had the most `just right' feeling on better papers than most things I've tried. Unfortunately, about 2 weeks after I first encountered it, the next batch was made with an extra-hard casing and binder that changed how it behaved.  A new batch arrived that had the consistency I liked again, so I'm hoping the `glassy-hard' version was an anamoly, and not the future.

These are three 10-minute studies above, and two 15-minute ones below.  The 10's are on 18 x 24" sheets of Canson Recycled Sketch paper, done with the Nobel hard charcoal I like. The 15's use the same charcoal, but on 23 x 34" sheets of Durotone Extra White paper.

No comments: