Monday, July 16, 2012

1st entry for June 28, 2012







(... and speaking of gesture drawing, in August, I'll be hosting a special all-gesture 3-hour Saturday open drawing session at the Toronto School of Art. Called `Gesture Drawing Boor Camp', it will run every Saturday in August, from 1:30 - 4:30.  $10- per session,pay as you go,  no poses over 5 minutes.  Shake yourself up - or get back in shape for school in the fall!)

Novelty has its pros and cons when it comes to figure drawing.  On the Friday night, K-    was working.  I have drawn her many times before (and enjoy that), and I had just recently drawn her, on the prior Friday (June 22).  In order to keep the the drawing experience from being too repetitive,  I was being more stylistically adventurous that evening. If it was a less familiar person and less familiar posing, I would have put my focus on the documentation of the whole person/pose.
(In that regard, I think I view full-figure drawings like the `establishing' long shots in movies; they provide the full context, and going straight to `close-ups' of a person without them seems like I'd be missing a necessary element of depicting them. Something to think about...)

Once in a while, as a playful way to shake things up I will do some `kid drawing' gesture sketches, and I started with a bunch of those for 1-minute poses, then shifted into more accustomed drawing.  After the first study, there is a 1-minute study, a 5-minute one, and two 10-minute ones.  With the gestures I was trying to be more `expressive', and less anatomical/diagammatic. The  1-minute ones and the 5-minute are done on 18 x 24" sheets of Bond paper, and the two 10's below are on 18 x 24" sheets of Canson Recycled Sketch paper. All are done with hard Nobel charcoal. The final one had background elements and reinforced shading done during a break.

No comments: