Monday, September 12, 2011

1st entry for Sept. 6, 2011





On the Tuesday, I went over to Artists 25. Something had gone amiss with their model, and so the host Tom elected to sit instead.  There was some discussion of sharing that task, but he was determined to make amends.
The top three studies are in the 10-minute range, and the bottom one was 20 minutes.
I was trying some unfamiliar charcoal. The top three were the weird thin small oblong royal charcoal sticks on bond paper (a little too hard and prone to snapping, I was finding, despite wanting to like them).
The bottom one was done with Koh-I-Noor charcoal sticks hard and medium grades, on cartridge paper.
I didn't perfectly catch his character, and was struggling with his hair values, but I was going to town on his striped shirt.
Because of the mix of circumstances - his feeling bad about no model, the knowledge that this was physically taxing for him, and the new materials experimetation - I felt I was a little bit more connected than a standard session there. The space was emotionally charged in atypical ways.

No comments: