Monday, September 26, 2011

1st entry for Sept. 16, 2011



The Friday was my last opportunity to work on a submission for the Five Lovely Guys exhibition "Twice in a Blue Moon", which was being hung on the 18th. We had the challenge of doing work on 1' x 2' plywood panels. I had an idea of revisiting my childhood flirtation with woodburning. I used the 10-minute charcoal study of J-  below (from Oct. 28th) , and used a woodburning tool to more or less replicate the original image, which suited the long, skinny format of the wood panel. The image did change,, but it was fun to use the tool, which generated a mark much like a multi-ridge engraving tool.

The panel is up as part of the Blue Moon show, along with a charcoal torso study of M-  for much of this month. The Blue Moon is just East of Broadview on Queen St E, and opens daily after 4 pm. Early in their evening is a good time to check the show out, before the bar gets too active.

Right after the 3 hours I spent burning in this image, I went back to setting up for the next 2 days' Queen West Art Crawl.
It has been less than a fortnight since the 16th, but what a busy time it has been. I marked my 50th birthday, worked on the presentation/installation of two art shows I had work in, attended the openings of them and one other exhibit that included a piece of mine, and taught 5 classes. Mercifully, few periods are quite that fully loaded.

No comments: