Sunday, February 7, 2010

4th Entry for January 26, 2010








These are all 5-minute studies. For the 2nd half of the session B- was working with trapeze and an adjacent set of silks.

The music had changed over to some blues, I think. I believe the observation got a little more sharp, as I was more able to disregard the music. (The fact I can't remember it speaks volumes)

As you may gather from various entries, the tolerance for music while drawing is a narrow one for me - if it is too discordant, or the rhythm doesn't sync with mine, I have to slow down to tune it out. If I know it too well or it is too fast, I get caught up in its' rhythms and give over too much attention to listening to it, which either gets me sloppy or slows things down. If it is innocuous enough I can ignore it, but if it syncs with my mood - that is the sweetest feeling of all. But mood can change, and the music that matches it will too.

Brian Eno described part of his intent in making his Ambient Music series as making music that you can tune out if you wish to. I like music that fills that role while drawing.

Especially when drawing from life, because for me the short time spans require full presence and attention to get maximum results. Working on extended drawings is different - while spending a hunk of time building up an area of shading, listening to music is a valuable tool for keeping myself from rushing. It keeps the restless part of my mind occupied and diverted.

No comments: