Monday, February 15, 2010

4th entry for February 5, 2010




These were 20-minute poses, which finished up the evening. These studies fall within the range of post-worthy in my estimation, but aren't my strongest by far. In the last stretch of the evening was distracted by some information unrelated to drawing that a friend had shared earlier. So rather than getting lost in the drawing I was getting caught up in an internal dialogue, weighing responses and formulating an internal debate.

All of which was probably more an index that my focus was lagging as I got tired at the end of the evening's drawing. There are always thoughts to get occupied with if one wants to let them. In hindsight, I was a few days away from succumding to a nasty cold, so the first blush of that may have been manifesting in moodiness and diminished focus - that's usually how things go for me.

(when I'm in focus I like to try to `hear' snippets of music internally, or try to mentally replay a song that fits my mood. I far prefer that to an actual music player, as I find earphones or earbuds are intrusive and too direct. I think the process of summoning up some music works as a bit of a meditative device for me - it is something other than linear reasoning or concept formulation to fill my consciousness with.)

I think the feet are the redeeming feature in the reclining study. Because I usually work top-down drawing people, I often end up rushing through the feet. These I made a point of taking some time to focus on.

No comments: