Wednesday, October 12, 2011

4th Entry for Sept. 29, 2011




These are a 15-minute study above, and two 20-minute ones below. The upper one is a combination of Koh-I-Noor and U-Art compressed charcoals, while the lower two are just the hard U-Art charcoal sticks. All are on 18 x 24" sheets of cartridge paper.
After the busy time in August and early September, I gravitated away from the exploration of fragmentary vignettes towards more full-figure studies. I was feeling like I wanted to be really solid in my basics.  But that night I was getting dissatisfied with the full-body drawings as any kind of personal statement. So for the last two I worked on the larger-than-usual (for me) head study, and let the torso fill the whole page on the final one. It could use some more modelling on the leg, but is dramatic.

No comments: