Wednesday, June 22, 2011

3rd Entry for June 12, 2011




These are two 5-minute studies above, and a 10-minute one below. All are done with hard compressed charcoal on cartridge paper.

The first 5-minute one was an experiment: I tried drawing on a small (12 x 18" sheet in the middle of a larger pad, so the drawing could run effortlessly out the edges of the page. I tend to choosa a size and stick with it for a while, so to shift scales means being much more on the ball.  I have a theory, though, that in trying to do some drawings on very small sheets, then shifting up to a larger paper makes it seem like a larger piece of real estate. Things in drawing are relative.

The second 5-minute study is on an 18 x 24" sheet, but the scale of head to body was askew. The 10-minute one is also on an 18 x 24" sheet. It was a very dramatic pose, good lighting, and I feel it is an especially strong study. I feel it ranks among my strongest figure studies.

I have noticed a correlation between throwing challenges into the drawing process and the degree of focus in the drawings that follow them. I think it is because one's brain is more awake and engaged.

No comments: