Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Entry for July 9th, 2009




On Thursday I took time out of prepping for the Rejects show, and followed Z- to Artists 25, where she was in the second week of a portrait session. I didn't get a spot-on likeness, but came close. The grey study took about 1.5 hours, and is Conte crayon on 24 x 36 newsprint.
The sandy-coloured one is about 45 minutes, Conte on Japanese paper. At the time, Z- was saying she felt that the Japanese paper one was sitting in the `uncanny valley' territory for her - disturbing in its closeness to her, but more disturbing due to still being off somehow. In the image posted here, I slightly compressed the lower part of her face and neck, and to me it reads much better - what a difference little proportional shifts (5% or so) make to a face.
The eyes are still not right - I was too far away to see them clearly (and too lazy to stand up and come closer...)

No comments: