Friday, July 3, 2009

5th entry for June 28, 2009







I was sufficiently successful in setting down some sensitive studies of J- in the first part of the evening, so I returned to my `training' for the Structural Bodies' workshop I'm doing in a few weeks. A friend was asking why I wasn't drawing more 'little boxes' in the figures, as an animator was showing that approach to her. So I endeavoured to project more boxy forms into J-. It sort of works on the rbb/shoulder and hip areas of a person, on heads and on the palms of hands, but personally, I see bodies much more in tubular and conic terms than on boxy ones.
There was an artist - Luca Cambiaso - whose drawings interpreted bodies as box forms, but I still find that a hard one to wrap my head around.

The sitting and standing studies were 15 and 20 minutes, and drawn with a 2h and a 2b pencil on 24 x 36 cartridge paper. The reclining pose was 20 minutes, but I stayed on and worked on the space and model stand for over an hour on top of that.

No comments: