Sunday, February 15, 2015

Entry for Jan 23, 2015


On Friday I went drawing again. I bypassed a too-busy session at TSA of short poses, and went over to Artists 25 instead. Polyna was there that night, doing part of a multi-week pose. This is a 2-hour study, done with gray ink in brushpens and some Chinese ink washes as base values.
The image is a little stiff.  Polyna's head seems a fraction big and edges into cartoon territory, and her foreshortened body sinking into the chair looks awkward. ( I don't know why people seem to be using black cloths on chairs and stools these days - it sort of undermines any adjacent shadow possibilities.)
I kept the background lighter, and I'm happy with the range of marks and values in this one, which includes a fair bit of applying dark ink on the tip of a pen filled with lighter ink, and exploiting the gradients that makes.
This is on an 11 x 22" sheet of the same 200 lb rag cold-pressed paper as the Tuesday. No sanding this time, and it was playing nicer, which I was liking. I feel the inks I are sitting better on this paper. Some of the background washes were applied with regular watercolour brushes, not brushpens, which led to broader strokes and some richer textural effects.

No comments: