Monday, June 16, 2014

2nd entry for June 3, 2014









These are a couple of 1-minute studies at top, some 2-minute ones in the middle and a couple of 3-minute studies at the bottom. All on 18 x 24" sheets of Canson Recycled Sketch paper using various Pitt pens.
Beyond observational clarity, there is a big psychological element to drawing fast and clearly. Using a pen with no underdrawing means being very much at one with the drawing instrument, not over-thinking the process, and to an extent knowing where and how long a line or mark needs to be before and during making it, which in a very short  timespan means a lot of focus.
On that Tuesday I was finding that more challenging owing to noise conflicts. A ceiling fan making a rhythmic rising/falling clicking sound at the same time as a disco-tastic funk playlist was going, which amounted to two competing musics playing at once.
I can't not listen to music playing, but in the best cases I can mesh my mark-making with the tempo of the  music to a happy degree. (when that works with livelier music, like at the Dr. Sketchy's sessions, it's a lot of fun. But overall that's why I like drone-based ambient music for drawing- almost any tempo mark-making can happen along with it).  I was trying my best to be zen and let go of the surrounding sounds (Which is why I'm fine with no music while drawing - no tempo, but also no distraction, and I can play/not play what suits me in my mind instead.) But trying to work with and not pay too much attention to the funk while trying to not hear the clicking fan all meant working slower or getting sloppy, which was taxing and frustrating.
Emily's work was excellent, but the studies were more uneven, especially where likeness and proportion were concerned. The second-last one here did work very well, though.

No comments: