Monday, April 21, 2014

3rd entry for Apr 8, 2014






These are a couple of 5-minute ones at top, two 10-minute studies after that and a 15-minute one at bottom.
All are on 18 x 24" sheets of paper. The top one is on Canson XL Drawing paper, the next on Canson 1557 drawing paper,both using Pitt calligraphy-point pen..
The two 10's are on Canson Montval watercolour paper, with the Pitt pen and water-soluble graphite. I like this combo, as the watercolour graphite is like a more informal marker drawing, but has a similar look*
The bottom one is an experiment using the graphite on its' own on a sheet of Terraskin paper. Terraskin `tree-free' paper is some kind of a synthetic stone-based material, which feels like Mylar or a soft plastic sheet. It's lack of absorbency meant that the same intensity of graphite washes as the studies above laid down much lighter values. Later I will try augmenting this with some soft pencil. I wasn't initially enamored with how it behaves, but glad I tried, as I've been curious about it for a while.

If you want to spend three days investigating line, tone and wash drawings using ink, I am offering a 3-day intensive May 14 - 16,  Drawing With Ink.  Over the years I've enjoyed on and off exploring the versatility of india ink as a drawing medium, and I enjoy introducing others to it. You can enroll for that here, and stay tuned for a couple of other upcoming short workshop announcements for late Spring at the TSA.

(* Ed. note: check out June, July and August 2013 entries for my fling with Copic markers. I like their look and immediacy a lot, but their concerns about their lightfastness ultimately moved me away from them.)

No comments: