Monday, December 5, 2011

1st entry for Nov 28, 2011





On the Monday night, D-  was at the Ralph Thornton Centre.  I had done some research into the mystery charcoal and determined that it was Nobel brand. While picking some up at De Serres (a local art store that stocks that), I also saw a Progresso brand woodless black colouring pencil which looked quite appealingly dark.
The top two studies - a 1-minute and 5-minute one respectively - are both the Progresso pencil crayon on bond paper. It was silky-smooth, but didn't get much purchase on the smooth bond I'm getting from Aboveground Art Supplies. Nice for gestures; not so hot for how I like to build darker shading, but not too smeary either.
The next 5-minute study below is Progresso crayon with a bit of Conte crayon to help things along in the darker areas, on the same kind of 18 x 24" bond paper as the top two.
The lower one is a 10-minute study with hard compressed Nobel charcoal stick on 18 x 24" cartridge paper.

I might add that what I refer to as `cartridge paper' these days is more specifically Canson `Sketch' brand paper, from their XL series of 18 x 24" pads.
I really wish they would introduce a 22 x 30 or 24 x 36" XXL series of pads for this...

No comments: