Saturday, August 8, 2009

2nd entry for July 31, 2009






These images are all in the 15-minute and 20-minute range. As with other occasions drawing M- , I struggle with his likeness. This paerticular night I was feeling at one point that there was a tug-of-war, between my desire to set down an absolute image of him, and his willingness to be so represented. It was like some interior battle of wills, going on no doubt entirely in my head. I didn't quite succeed, but a few studies were okay, just the same.
I was also cognizant of the tendency to want to turn models into `characters' - to create a simplified sense of who they are, and draw that. I was aware of wanting to get deeper - to draw M- honestly, rather than just do `M- drawings'.
It's always interesting how psychological considerations enter into the process of representing someone.

No comments: